Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Google Home Weirdness

For the last two days while watching TV, my Google Home randomly responds with the "Accessibility Sounds On" beep. And not just a single *blip* once and awhile. Oh  no. When it it happens, it does it in bursts of  2 , 3 or 4 *blips*. And this is not some rare thing, it's been happening at least a dozen times in about 6-7 hours of viewing time over the last 2 days.

But unlike my Echo/Dot, it's not saying anything. No "I don't know that yet" or "I'm still learning new things."

Very annoying and disturbing at the same time.

My wake phrase is "Hey Google" instead of  "Okay Google".  I chose mine to reduce the syllable count. Oh, notice the usage of "wake phrase" in place of the Echo/Dot's term? Amazon's use of one word is SO much easier and elegant compared with Google's implementation.

Amazon was wise to pick single words, instead of two. I know A-lex-a is 3 syllables, but Ech-o is only 2, Am-a-zon is 3 and Com-put-er is only 3.

The Home's default is O-kay Goo-gle which is FOUR. How klunky is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment