Sunday, March 5, 2017

Alexa Skills 10,000 and Growing but where's Google Home?


I just added my Fitbit. it took a little futzing around. Help page, Help page, Bluetooth pairing. Yada, Yada, Yada. But it still did it. It works Eureka!

 As a side note, I use PC/keyboard, not the handy dandy app. My tiny S4 phone, 8" tablet or 7' Kindle just doesn't cut it. Call me an old fart, I don't give a shit, sue me.

Don't get me wrong, I lurve, no love tech. Hell, I wouldn't be playing and using it otherwise. I'm writing about it to share my pleasure and experiences with you, dear readers.

Where's the Home? Why does Google make it so obscure to see or find their skills? I don't see a damned thing when I pull the app up. Why don't they have a browser version for PC? Just a store?  Yes, I don't own anything it controls, like my Insteon ecosystem of devices. No, my Amazon world of music and video & shopping will almost certainly never, never NEVER... EVER be put into it. So when will I be able to play with it?

There it sits, beeping at random places when the TV says something that sort of sounds like Google or a combo of "Okay Google" or "Hey Google". when I turn up the TV volume or have the AV speakers on. So it gives the weather just like Alexa. So it gives me a route in maps, well poorly. What rich content will they have to compare with Amazon?

All the tech media clamor and gushing over the Google Home's supposed superiority to Amazon's Alexa/family of devices? That's their usual me-too, monkey see monkey do chorus. How original.

Yes it has potential, but stop acting like it's already here. Where's the ease of use? Where's the beef?

I await with bated breath the good stuff. I hope I didn't waste $100 + tax on a glorified faux oversized air freshener that plays music somewhat better than the Echo.


No comments:

Post a Comment